Sydney news: Roundup cancer link sees Blacktown workers strike and Belgium backpacker search called off – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sydney news: Roundup cancer link sees Blacktown workers strike and Belgium backpacker search called off

Updated July 04, 2019 07:14:20

Here’s what you need to know this morning.

Strike over demands to use Roundup

More than 500 workers at Blacktown City Council have stopped work after a union claims they were told to use a controversial weedkiller or be forced out of their jobs.

Outdoor council staff last month refused to continue using glyphosate sprays — including the leading Roundup brand — which has been linked to cancer.

However, according to the United Services Union, management ordered six staff to use the product or face being forced into alternate jobs.

More than 10,000 bins were left uncollected yesterday and workers are meeting this morning to decide whether to continue the strike.

Theo search called off

Police have called off the search for Belgian teenager Theo Hayez.

The 18-year-old has not been seen since he left a Byron Bay hotel more than a month ago.

A police-led search involving the homicide squad, local SES volunteers and police rescue — as well as police who flew in from Belgium — failed to locate him.

A police spokesperson said while the full-scale physical search was over, investigations into his disappearance were continuing.

Murder charges after fiery crash

A man who allegedly forced another car off the highway near Grafton last year has been charged with two counts of murder.

Officers said a 34-year-old man used his car to push another vehicle off the Pacific Highway which then crashed through a fence, rolled and caught fire.

Two men, 42 and 29, died at the scene and one woman, 39, suffered head and spinal injuries during the December crash.

After an investigation — including a public plea for information — a 34-year-old man was arrested and will appear in Grafton Local Court today.

Alleged terror plotter to face court

Isaak el Matari is due to appear in Parramatta court today after being charged with three offences that could put him in prison for life.

The 20-year-old from Greenacre in Sydney’s south-west is accused of planning a terrorist attack after being arrested during sweeping raids across Sydney on Tuesday.

Police allege he had expressed an intention to carry out an attack on a range of Sydney landmarks including police stations and churches.

Hospital report released

The NSW Government has released a long-awaited review into the governance of the Sydney Children’s Hospital Network (SCHN) amid ongoing tensions between the city’s two children’s hospitals.

The review is critical of the existing governance arrangement between the Westmead and Randwick hospitals, but warns against any changes that may “inadvertently dilute” the health care focus on children.

Earlier this year more than 100 senior doctors from Randwick voted to leave the network over concerns paediatric cardiac surgery referrals were being sent solely to the Westmead campus.

The report makes 16 recommendations but did not specifically assess concerns relating to cardiac services, which are at the heart of the dispute.

Topics: murder-and-manslaughter, crime, law-crime-and-justice, health, health-administration, health-policy, local-government, pests-diseases-and-control-methods, sydney-2000

First posted July 04, 2019 06:18:09

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *